Sunday, October 14, 2007

Sunday night at Grandma's

We hadn't seen the kids and grandkids this whole week (at least not since Monday night when Collin came for a sleepover) so I invited everyone over for dinner. Yesterday I cleaned and organized until I could hardly move but with a clean, organized house I felt like having visitors come over -- of course, these kind of visitors pretty much defeat the purpose of house cleaning! But the Mom's do deserve a dinner break and I had a new issue of "Everyday with Rachel Ray" and I wanted to try out some new recipes.

Katie told me that Aspen had been sick for a day or so -- she had started throwing up Friday night while they were out and the poor babysitter had to deal with it so I wasn't too surprised when Katie called to say she didn't think they should come over... I could hear some major disappointment in her voice. But then she called back to say that Cameron and LaRane felt OK with having Aspen over since they have been kind of sick all week too! This doesn't bode too well for Paul and me -- i hope it isn't too late to get flu shots!

When Katie and Clark and Aspen walked in about 4:30 this afternoon, Aspen was so listless and her eyes were droopy and she just laid on Katie's shoulder. She felt really hot and feverish and clingy and that is so not like her. Shortly after Cam, LaRane, Collin and Cache showed up. Aspen did manage a big grin for Collin. By the time dinner was ready and on the table Aspen was "losing her cookies", if you know what I mean.

The food for our dinner was really good (despite the few distractions)... "magazine recipes" have never been a favorite for Cameron but I think he liked this one. I know the dessert was a hit: pumpkin cheesecake with chocolate wafer crust. After dinner we all went down to the playroom and much to our amazement... Aspen was totally back to her rambunctious self again! She was running and playing and laughing and teasing --- you wouldn't have imagined she had been so sick just an hour before! After a while, Collin and Aspen were asking for something to eat so we fixed them hot dogs and Katie directed Cameron as he attempted to recreate Katie's world-renowned chocolate chip cookies (he did a really good job for his first try but of course, he was under the supervision of the master!). I just hope Aspen doesn't have a relapse because it won't be a pretty sight when all that stuff reappears! (she totally enjoyed licking the mixer beater).

Actually I think there is some special aura here at Grandma's house that makes booboos and oweees go away. The house was feeling a little droopy and untidy by the time every one left but oh well, it will get cleaned again in a week or two! Just another delightful Sunday night at Grandma's! PS: we missed you Swapps!

3 comments:

Barbara said...

Aren't Sunday Dinners the best part about being Grandparents...
Loved reading this post.
Sounds like our house.
Fondly, B.

katie k hymas said...

yes, the hot dogs, and cookies made a re-appearance at about 12:30 am. so fun. let's do another round of wash.... and everyone stay home sick. uhg

Travelin'Oma said...

Isn't it great that grandkids visit, everybody has fun, and then they go home? It is absolutely the best system. I wish they had invented it when I had kids. Lots of times I wished somebody else would come and take them home.