Friday, October 26, 2007

Quilt of the week, finally


We finally got all of the computers in our life back up and in working condition and it has only taken what -- 2 or 3 weeks! It has been a tad bit challenging but I'm putting it all behind me because now everything is nicer and better than before.

It seems like it has been a long time now since I have featured one of my quilts so I thought I'd start again with this quilt. I love fall colors and I wanted to make a fall quilt. This was back in 1999. I found this quilt pattern in a magazine at my local quilt shop one day and quickly bought the fabric and the magazine and headed home to get started. When I got home I was quite surprised to discover that this pattern had been a "mystery quilt" and the issue of the magazine that I had was the third and last portion of the instructions. I paniced for a few minutes while I called the quilt shop and asked if they had the first two issues and after being assured they did, I rushed back over to the shop and picked them up as well.

I call this quilt "Swirling Leaves". I pieced it by machine but then I did hand quilt it. It is not very big... only 43 inches square. I have actually taught this as a class a couple of times. The pattern uses some unique techniques to build the stars. They are not just tiny triangles all cut seperately and then stitched together. I'd have to pull out the pattern to remember how it was actually done but I just remember it was quick and effective. There really aren't any chopped off points on those triangles, thankfully.

I have it hanging over my desk at the office right now so I get to enjoy the greens, yellows, oranges and browns of the season both outside and in!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: