Monday, November 19, 2007

Xeriscape...




or more literally... ZERO(maintenance)scape! Top photo ... before; lower photos... after! We live on a corner and this corner has been a perpetual challenge in the landscaping department. When we first moved here 14 years ago, I decided that I would plant only perrinal plants and flowers here since they come back every year unlike annuals. Well, for the first 4 or 5 years, this area was really beautiful. The flowers came back every year and they flourished and I loved it but............ then the more delicate flowers (columbines and lupines) started to disappear and the more hardly flowers (cosmos and asters) started to take over and it was looking less and less attractive. I even tried planting petunias and geraniums but nothing seemed to thrive there any more. I don't know if it was the tree roots were sapping all the nutrients and taking up all the soil or the heat intensity because this is a southeast corner. Not to mention that we live in a desert environment here. Anyway... I have been so frustruted for about the past 4 years and finally I'd had it!

Paul & I went to our local Parade of Homes this past summer and all the million $ homes had this gravel-kind of landscaping... TA DAH! The answer to my frustration! So for the past month or so we have been working on this little project and it finally got finished this past weekend and I LOVE IT! When I say "we've been working on it" I really mean some landscapers have been doing all the work... except we did have to pick out all the rocks. By the way, rocks are expensive! But we won't have to buy new ones every year! I think I'm going to like this new look. Maybe I'll look into fake grass next!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: