Saturday, November 24, 2007

Turkey delight



What a truly delightful Turkey-day we had this year! It was so low key and just enjoyable. I had invited a couple other extended families to come and join us but as it turned out our dinner was very small and intimate -- just Cam & LaRane & kids and my parents. It was the "odd year" so Katie and Clark went to Idaho -- we missed you guys! Since the dinner was at my house, I figured it was easiest for me to do the turkey, dressing, potatos and gravy. LaRane brought the yams & apples casserole and the salad and the pumpkin pies. My mom got the year off.

Have you ever brined your turkey? I have been doing this for the last couple years and it is definately worth the extra step. I did buy a frozen turkey -- about a 16 pounder. I started thawing it on Sunday so it would be ready to brine for 24 hours before cooking. I got out my big orange insulated beverage cooler (the kind that are used at sporting events) and lined it with 2 plastic garbage bags. Then I put a couple gallons of water in with 2 cups of salt and 1 cup of sugar and various other ingredients like a whole bulb of garlic, lots of celery stocks, a bunch of parsley and then submerged the bird and twist tied the bags and actually sat the cooler outside in the shade of the house during the day and in the garage over night because the temperature was below 38 degrees and because it would never have fit in my fridge. When I was ready to roast it in the oven, I just rinsed off the brine and patted it dry and did my usual stuffing and roasting and it was perfect -- very moist and flavorful.

It is always fun to get out the "good" china, crystal and sterling silverware... you know, the wedding presents that only get used on special occassions. I liked the way my table came together. I was trying to take photos of it before we sat down to eat and I liked this "artistic view" that I came up with.

I loved watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade... I love watching it while I'm preparing the dinner. And I have to admit that after the parade was done I immediately turned on Christmas music. Mentally, I'm ready to take on Christmas which was evidenced by the fact that I got up Friday morning (after sleeping in! NO black-Friday shopping for me!) and pulled out all the boxes of Christmas decorations from underneath the stairs. So between yesterday and today I have gotten everything dressed up and decked out for the next season except for the Christmas tree which I can't actually face until it is actually December! We even received our first Christmas card in the mail (thanks, Kristy!) and went to a very enjoyable Christmas music concert Friday night. So despite my negativity a few posts ago, I can honestly say I'm in the Holiday mood.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Travelin'Oma said...

Cute photo of the turkey chick. Dee's our turkey man, and he always brines it, as well. This year he used a gallon of apple cider in the brine, and it was awesome!

katie k hymas said...

i must say... I totally missed your stuffing. Yours is hands down best stuffing ever.. i think it's the brazil nuts! Sad we missed you guys.