Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Quilt of the Week

Nothing like a bright, fun, cheery quilt to make my day! And this one isn't even mine! But I'm pleased to have been included in it's creation.

When Heidi was in China (that sounds really bizarre since she has only been back for a week now) she had some really close friends named the MacKay family. Their daughter, Maddee, decided that she wanted to make a quilt for one of her personal progress projects. Heidi had her come over to her house and check out some of the quilts that I had made for them over the years and see if she could find some inspiration. I guess she really liked the quilt that I had made for Capri when she was born. Heidi, Maddee and Maddee's mom, Hollee then took a trip to the fabulous fabric market where they chose this bold, colorful and perfect combination of fabrics. Then Maddee got going and in no time had sewn together all the blocks. She did such a fabulous job for a "first time quilter". I think another woman in their neighborhood helped sew the blocks together and put on the borders. I got involved when Heidi called me to ask what I thought about how they should finish the quilts. "Should they tie the quilt or have it machine quilted?" My opinion was to definitely have it machine quilted. It just so happened that Hollee's father was over there visiting and he was able to bring the quilt top home with him and pass it off to me. I was so excited to see it and so impressed with what a super job Maddee had done putting it together. I took it to my favorite machine quilter friend, Betty, and she whipped it out in about a week. I just picked it up yesterday and spent the evening sewing on the binding to finish it all up so I can send it back to China today. I just love a beautiful quilt! and I just love one with a beautiful story woven in to it as well. Great job Maddee! and thanks for letting me be involved!

 


Here is a close up of the border and backing fabric...those crowns are so adorable! Betty did such a super job of quilting hearts all around! There is definitely a lot of love in this quilt!

 
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

kj said...

Megan's quilt is darling. Way to "Sher" your great talents and get her hooked on a satisfying skill. I love the colors and the machine quilting pattern shown in the up-close pic.

Grace said...

WOW what a fabulous quilt... She has a teriffic teacher and seems like she will be a master quilter like you really soon. Thanks for sharing Grace