Friday, February 6, 2009

"New York Stars"


Here is another one of my quilts that I want share with you this week. I made this quilt back in 2001. I made this quilt as a tribute to a really fun trip that I took with my 3 girls (Heidi, Katie & LaRane) to New York City in July 2000 to celebrate Katie's 21st birthday. While I was there I found a wonderful quilt store called "the City Quilter". It was in a really quirky section of Manhattan and I remember how surprised I was that we had to ring a doorbell to be buzzed into the shop. (The shop has since moved to a nicer, safer location and I have been able to visit their new location also. ) I bought the border fabric at this shop. It depicts big cities in America and includes the World Trade Center, the Statue of Liberty, the Chrysler building, the Space Needle from Seattle and even some building and bridges from Chicago and San Francisco. The blue border fabric has "2000" printed all over it to commemorate the new Millenium. The white background fabric, the blue border fabric and the big cities outer border fabric all have a glittering, shimmering sparkle embedded in the fabric which I just love because New York City is a city that just glows and glimmers 24 hours a day.

I chose to make the stars black and gray to reflect the urban and urbaneness of all the buildings and streets and sidewalks but then I added the red blocks because there are always eye-catching sights to see and exciting things to do in NYC. LaRane gave me a bundle of these fabrics as a thank you for the trip so that makes it that much more special also.

I machine pieced the quilt top and then I had it machine quilted to finish it off. It is not a very big quilt. It is about 48" x 56" which is perfect as a wallhanging. I am flooded with so many memories of my 4 trips to NYC whenever I look at this quilt. I (heart) NYC!
I really need to go again but today I'll just be there vicariously through my quilt.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

Julie Pia said...

I love that you have stories and memories behind your quilts. It makes them that more beautiful. You are amazing!

kj said...

The city fabric is so perfect and what a great way to remember your fun trips to NYC. I am "sew" glad you are writing about each of your quilts. Fascinating to say the least.

Grace said...

this is fabulous..and the story behind it makes it more special. Thank you for sharing your wonderful stories and quilts with us. Hugs Grace

Barbara said...

Thank you so much for the blogger Award...
I spent some time today thinking up who I would like to write about...
It was fun to do...so thanks to the reason to show off some of the other blogs I visit.
Have a great weekend.
Barbara

katie k hymas said...

I love this quilt too and i'm glad we had that trip... almost 9 years ago to be the initial inspiration!!!

erika said...

What a neat quilt. And I love all of your stories behind them.