Thursday, November 6, 2008

Quality reading


The nice thing about going on vacation is the chance to have some quality reading time. Since we have been relaxing on the beach, both Paul & I have cruised through a lot of pages. Paul has finished 4 books and I'm on my third.

I want to share this book with you, my dear blog-readers because it was an extremely enjoyable book. It is titled "The Seamstress" and it is by Frances de Pontes Peebles.

A month or so ago, I was browsing through Barnes and Noble and this book caught my eye. I'm sure it was the title and the picture on the jacket that peeked my curosity (you know, being the seamstress that I am). I did take it off the shelf and browse through it but I'm also a cautious book buyer and it cost $25.95 so I was reluctant to purchase it spur of the moment when I didn't really know anything about it. It is has a 2008 copyright. I really like brand new, hot of the press releases. I went home and read more about it on the author's website: http://www.francesdepontespeebles.com/ and then I requested it from my local library.

I have blogged before that my favorite genre of books is memoirs. My second favorite genre is historical fiction. This story definately fits into that category. In fact, on the back cover it is called a "historical saga". Typically when I come on vacation I only like to bring paperback books because I don't like to have to hold up a heavy read and often I don't want to bring the book back home with me. I started reading this novel before we left on our trip and I knew there was no way I wasn't bringing it along. It is 641 pages but well worth it's weight and the fact that I do have to take it back home and return it to the library.

The story is about two sisters who live in the lawless backcountry of Brazil in the early 1930s. As young women they are separated, one sister being kidnapped by a group of the most notorious bandits that are terrorizing everyone from the landowners to the government officials. The other sister escapes her rural upbringing to become elevated in the high society of Recife but is always terrified that her connection to the much despised and feared bandits will be discovered and revealed. On the book jacket is this description: "An enthralling novel of love and courage, loyalty and adventure, that brings to life a faraway time and place,
The Seamstress is impeccably drawn, rich in depth and vision, and heralds the arrival of a supremely talented new writer."
(they describe it much better than I can)

The other two books I have been reading, though enjoyable, have been like a little snack or an appetizer compared to this book that I would describe as a 7- course meal. I couldn't put it down but at the same time I didn't want it to end. I highly recommend it.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: