Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Button, Button... the next generation


I have always needed to spend some time in my sewing room as often as possible and back when I had little kids I had to find clever ways to keep them occupied so that I could accommadate this indulgence. One of their favorite activities was to string buttons.

One by one as my grandkids have gotten old enough to be trusted with a needle in their precious little hands, I have introduced them to this new skill. Aspen just joined the ranks of the button stringers and she loved it! Now, before you start to panic and assume that I am a careless grandma, I do have a blunt needle that I give them. I have a huge jar of buttons that I have amassed over the years and it is a huge thrill for the kids to dump it over and see the buttons fly everywhere.

It was so fascinating to watch Aspen as she sorted through the buttons and carefully selected just the right ones she wanted to add to her collection. She was a quick learner on how to manipulate the needle through the hole and get the button to drop down the string. When she had filled up the string, we tied it off and she got to take it home. I saw her the next day and Katie had tied the ends together to make Aspen's string of buttons into a bracelet which she was still wearing (along with the blue hula skirt we brought her from Hawaii).

I remember stringing buttons when I would go and visit my grandma and now it is so fun to see this little tradition continue to the next generation.

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Barbara said...

What a fun idea..
I am going to start saving buttons for my sweet little granddaughters to string:) Thanks for this great idea:)
B.

kj said...

I love your "buttons, buttons who's threading your buttons" activity. Way to begin instilling a love for needle, thread and sewing with buttons. Your dear Grandma had such a great idea. That's a great one to share, Sher

Travelin'Oma said...

I have a button collection that the kids play with all the time (today, as a matter of fact.) But I have never thought of stringing them! Leave it to a seamstress. I can't wait to incorporate this into the activity.