Friday, November 21, 2008

I just keep on Quilting


I need to share my most recent birthday quilt project. I actually made this quilt back in October for Colton's birthday. Since he lives in China, I couldn't blog about it until after he had received it and by then I was in Hawaii so I'm just getting around to sharing it with you.

This was such a fun quilt to make!!! I don't know about you, but I always get my very best ideas at the last minute. So about a week before his birthday I came up with this idea. You may remember that I made a denim quilt for Cory for his birthday back in May so I knew I wanted to make some kind of denim quilt for Colton. I decided I wanted to make a tee shirt quilt. Only one teeny problem, I didn't have any of Colton's tee shirts. So I got creative and went to the DI, Deseret Industries, which is a local thrift store here that is a part of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. It is like a gold mine! Seriously, you can always find the best surprises there and it is very inexpensive. I was thrilled with the tee shirts that I found that were perfect to represent Colton and his interests. If you click on the photo you can see each block up close. Of course, I was able to dive into my stash of jeans in my sewing closet for the denim part of the quilt. I just loved the big polka dots. All those colors just seemed to tie all the random blocks together and the lime green flannel added a great "wow" factor. I tied the quilt but then I also did some machine quilting within the individual blocks to stablize the cotton
tee shirts. I used flannel on the back and as the inside batting so it would be warm and cuddly for him.

I got the best thank you emails from Colton and Heidi and I was so pleased that it was a hit when it arrived.


Here is my fun neighborhood quilt group and the quilt that we made last Weds. We have a woman in our neighborhood who has been battling cancer for 12 years! It just breaks our hearts. So we decided that we wanted to make her a little something to let her know we care and are still thinking about her. This is just one of those quick, rag-type quilts. We put this all together in about 2 hours. We hope she can feel our love and concern for her as she snuggles under these cheery squares this holiday season!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

kj said...

I can't believe how much you must have searched to find the perfect tshirts. That quilt is perfectly perfect for Colton. He is one lucky grandson.

The love quilt for your neighbor is so dear. What a fun group of women to gather with have fun quilting and doing such nice deeds.

Barbara said...

I remember reading on Heidi's blog when he got this wonderful gift. He is a lucky boy to have a grandmother like you:)
Glad you had such a great trip to Hawaii...I am still very jealous!
B.

Erika said...

Love the quilts! You are amazing Aunt Sherrie!