Monday, November 3, 2008

Our son, the IRONMAN!


CONGRATULATIONS CAMERON!!!

Amazing! Unbelievable! This is what I kept thinking as I watched the live feed of the Panama City, Florida Ironman on Saturday from my condo here in Hawaii and got to see our tough son Cameron cross the finish line. This isn't really him in the picture because when I snapped the photo of him I forgot to turn off the flash and all you could see is a big bright spot on the screen. Besides, he and his friend Dustan were hauling across the finish line. They came up so fast that the announcer didn't even have time to find their names; he just announced that the "Utah boys" had just crossed the line.

This is actually Cameron's 2nd Ironman. If you are a longtime reader of my blog you will remember back in June of 2007 he did the Coeur de Lane (spelling?), Idaho ironman in 11 hours 6 minutes and 50 seconds. He surpassed that time by a ton. He finished this race in 10 hours, 32 minutes and 33 seconds! This is a significant improvement!

He did the swimming portion in 1 hour 18 minutes and 35 seconds. This is his least favorite portion. There were 2500 participants all out in the water at once. He said it felt like swimming upstream with salmon -- totally crazy and chaotic. He did the 112 miles biking portion in 5 hours 9 minutes and 59 seconds. This part is his favorite portion and he was very pleased with his performance. He didn't stop at all during the whole 5 hours on the bike and luckily he had no flat tires or other mechanical issues either. The final portion, which is the marathon of 26.2 miles, he completed in 3 hours 53 minues and 27 seconds. And he finished the whole thing by sprinting across the finish line with his buddy. Cam finished 338th and his buddy Dustan finished 339th. I think I saw that he was 62nd in his category out of 236!

(I might take this up as a weight loss program when I get home from my trip as Cam said that he lost 6 pounds during the course of the race! )

Way to go Cam, you are our hero!!!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Kylee Jane said...

That is one tough, determined son you've raised. Be proud!

Kylee Jane said...

Hold on, I think that Kylee logged on to my computer today. KJ wrote the Kylee Jane comment and this one