Tuesday, September 2, 2008

1,2,3,GOOOOOOOO


Where has the summer gone??!!!
I can't believe it is basically over. Once Labor Day comes and goes, you know exactly where the year is headed!
With this in mind we decided we needed to go to the cabin at least one more time. Katie, Clark & Aspen came up with us to spend the night Friday and then Cam, Collin & Cache joined in the fun on Saturday. The weather was just perfect -- 95 degrees in the valley but about 82 degrees in the mountains.

My parents built our family cabin back in 1960. One of the first forms of entertainment that was installed was a rope swing. This one in the picture is the second installment. This is the "safer" version. Back about 33 years ago, we were at the cabin on New Years day and Paul sailed off the ice-covered swing and fell about 40 feet and landed on the natural gas tank and suffered a spinal compression fracture. After that my mother was so tramatized that she insisted that swing be taken down and a less dangerous one put up in a less steep section of the forest.


We are now on the 4th generation of family members who are brave enough to attempt the take off. This is always the highlight of any one's cabin experience. The grandkids can hardly wait to be big enough to get in on the fun. My dad started a tradition of screaming
"Ya ba da ba doooooooooo" on the take off just to increase the thrill.


So this is the take off point. You stand on this very rickity platform (we have said we should repair the platform for about the past 3 years and the platform is almost scarier than the actual swinging), hang on to the rope and look down at the small wooden seat that you jump towards and hope you land on. I have been performing this stunt for 48 years and it still gives me a huge adrenaline rush on the take off. This time was just a bit different though. As I stood there building up my confidence to take off, I heard my two little grandkids encouraging me. Collin was telling me "you can do it Grandma!" and Aspen was counting "one, two, three... ". I think she got to about 7 or 8 before I actually took the leap!
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Travelin'Oma said...

All my kids have heard stories of wimpiness on this swing. Some of them have internalized the experiences to the extent of thinking THEY have been on your swing!

Write a post about your treehouse. That was quite an adventure, too!

You have always been so brave!

Unknown said...

thanks for stopping by ... i have been such a bad blog surfing friend! My life has been out of control lately ... i am so happy to be on holidays. It is so nice you are going to CE ... maybe next year i will come across! (fingers crossed) i am still wanting to come to Utah for christmas next year .... so then you'll have all 5 of us! wink! I am praying about it ... so hope God thinks its a good plan! have a great time in Arizona, you will have such fun!
luv chanel

Unknown said...

thanks for stopping by ... i have been such a bad blog surfing friend! My life has been out of control lately ... i am so happy to be on holidays. It is so nice you are going to CE ... maybe next year i will come across! (fingers crossed) i am still wanting to come to Utah for christmas next year .... so then you'll have all 5 of us! wink! I am praying about it ... so hope God thinks its a good plan! have a great time in Arizona, you will have such fun!
luv chanel

Barbara said...

Looks like so much fun, and the grandkids there too. I am jealous!!
The AZ summer was so hot this year that a "cabin in the Mountains" would have been the best. I will have to work on that...
Cool that you are coming to AZ...have a fun time and it is also great that you will get to see Heidi:)
Fondly, B.