Thursday, September 11, 2008

Fall is in the air!


For the last few weeks while I have been doing all my crazy home improvement projects, I decided I needed some "recess". Whenever I can I like to sneak off to my sewing room. Here is what I have just finished putting together!

I only have one other fall quilt that I made probably about 5 or 6 years ago so I had been feeling the need to make a new fall quilt. One day in early August I came across this pattern in one of my favorite quilt shops and decided this was just what I was looking for. The pattern version of this quilt was done in pinks and greens and blues and purples but I knew I wanted oranges, golds, browns, greens and reds so I spent a week or so visiting more quilt shops to find just the perfect fabrics. All the fabrics are batiks. I have to say, I really am thrilled with the way this has turned out!

Each leaf block was made from two corresponding blocks. I made one block with a dark background and a lighter leaf and then another block with the same two fabrics but used as a light background and a dark leaf. I machine appliqued the leaves to the backgrounds. Then I cut the blocks apart diagonally and sewed them back together with the opposite combinations. A very fun and quick technique. It took a few more visits to the quilt stores to pick out the sashing and the borders but I'm very happy with the results.

I took it to my favorite longarm machine quilter and she thinks it should be done in about three weeks -- just about the same time I expect the mountains around here will be looking just like this!
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

katie k hymas said...

It turned out beautiful! I love it. Could you make one just like it for me too? please?

chanel said...

you are so clever ...
glad you had fun in arizona .. hopefully i can come next time!
luv chanel

Unknown said...

What a gorgeous quilt!!! I absolutely love the colors and the design! Autumn is my favorite season and your quilt captures it beautifully. Now I see where your daughter gets her creativity and tenacity!!!
Blessings!
Sherry

kj said...

Your fall display is so subtle and harmonious. You'll love the feelings you get as you enjoy it. Recess is so necessary!

Marion said...

This is beautiful! I love the border, too! It combines all of the colors--so lovely. Are the leaves appliqued? How did you ever get it done so fast? I never get my appliqued quilts finished...