Monday, September 15, 2008

What's for dinner?


How do you organize your recipes?

Here is my pathetic organization. See that recipe card holder with no lid; I'm just holding my breath it doesn't get accidently tipped over one of these days. My yellow binder is where I have been putting recipes that are not on recipe cards. There is no organization in that binder. I just have to flip through all the pages until I come across what I'm hoping I stashed in there.

A couple months ago I was on a mission to find a software that I could enter all my recipes on and print off non-handwritten versions of my life long favorites. So many of my recipes are on these 25 or 30 or 35 year old recipe cards and the ink is fading! I can barely read them any more. I even went looking for a new recipe box and they are fast becoming extinct!

So I'm turning to my much more savy audience here on the internet to ask you for your suggestions. Have any of you, dear readers, used any recipe organization software that you would recommend? How do you keep your recipes? Please don't hesitate to share your successes with me since I'm sitting here with such a huge failure!

Thank you!! Thank you!!
(I wonder what to fix for dinner....)
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

hks said...

well, you can't be as pathetic as me.
lol

Grace said...

I am so curious to see what people come up with. I have some of my mom's that she has written scrapped but I just have them all in a notebook and recipe cards retyped. I love those women who scrap it all their great great great grandmothers blueberry pie! Wow amazing. So I will visit to see what people post. ayone I knocomes up with something will let you know. Hugs Grace

Sara said...

Hi Sherry! I keep a binder, its fabric covered that I sorta "Scrapbooked" and decorated...it is filled with plastic sleeves which keep the recipes protected and I just slip the recipe right in...I used to have a big mess of recipes in a little magnetic thing that sat on the side of the refridgerator (those were my "go to" recipes). I have yet to add dividers and have them categorized by some sort of order ... at least I can find them now!

Sara

kelly said...

no big tips... i tried some software once & didn't really love it. so now, all my favorites are in a binder. some are typed up neatly, others are scrapbooked (like sara's) in there... you know, the cute one with my grandma's handwriting, etc. i'm hoping to sift through all my recipes & really just narrow it down to ones we love.

ShariK said...

I took on the venture of organizing my recipes - once. I couldn't find something electronic that I really liked, that was a few years ago so there may be something now. I ended up with a binder too. I use some page protectors with dividers so I can stick several on a page. The page protectors also protect the writing. Some are in my grandmother's writing and I don't want to lose that.

A said...

Hi MamaK - Check out the Cookbook Wizard - You can download it free for thirty days and play with it. A