Sunday, March 2, 2008

Blonde, blue eyes and matching blue sweater


Back in the fall of 2003 I started knitting. I stumbled into a lovely yarn shop in Friday Harbor, Washington and fell in love with the unique yarns. The easiest project to begin with was knitting a scarf. Once I got back home I found another very unique, delightful yarn shop called "Soul Spun" and I was hooked. As soon as I finished one scarf I could hardly wait to begin another one. I made scarves for everyone for Christmas that year. After about 12 scarves, I decided maybe I could move on to something a little more difficult so I started a sweater for Collin who was about 9 or 10 months old then. Turned out that was a bit too ambitious and I quickly learned that I should really stick to scarves.

But I wasn't totally ready to give up on this yarn obcession. I just needed to switch to a crochet hook instead of knitting needles. I have done crocheting for many years and felt quite confident in my skills. I found the cutest swester pattern and some bright, spring colorful yarns and decided to crochet a sweater for Quincy who was about 3 years old. This project turned out to be very enjoyable and I thought the sweater was very cute when I finished it. I was excited to take it to Quincy and see how it looked and fit on her. Well, she wasn't very impressed. She absolutely did not want to try it on! I tried every day we were there visiting to get her to try it on and she would just run away like I was trying to force something really terrible on her. Finally the last day I was there I talked her into putting it on just long enough for a quick photo. She accommodated me but WITH an attitude. The sweater came off immediately after the picture was snapped and I ended up bringing the sweater back home where I stashed it on the top shelf of the closet in my sewing room. (Really sweaters in Phoenix aren't very necessary especially in April).

Fast forward 4 years... I happened to notice the sweater this evening while digging out my knitting supplies for Katie (she has suddenly developed a passion for knitting and has FAR surpassed any of my pathetic knitting skills). I pulled it off the shelf and decided to see what would happen if I tried to get Aspen to wear it. Much to my delight, Aspen immediately fell for it. She put it on and started reciting all the colors... she especially likes blue! She wore it the whole evening and even went home with it on and I expect we'll still have some sweater-weather here for a while.

Note to self: Stick with quilting!

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Travelin'Oma said...

You must have the most nimble fingers around!

katie k hymas said...

aspen's learning who to kiss up to... she's pretty good at it to!