Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Heavenly Center Stone




Here is one of the highlights of every Chinese persons' trip to the Temple of Heaven -- standing on the Heavenly Center Stone. I have included the official signage so you can see why it is such a hit. We really got a kick out of this scene for several reasons:

1. typically, Chinese people don't stand in lines very well. They have a tendency to just shove their way to the front and just butt right in but these folks were in a very nicely ordered line up waiting their turn to stand on that Center Stone.
2. the way the line was formed, when they did get their turn on the Center Stone, the other more important and impressive feature -- that of the actual Temple of Heaven -- was totally blocked by the rest of the people waiting in line.

I have to say, it was very surprising to me to see so many Chinese people at all the "tourist attractions" we went to. I just assumed the majority of visitors would be foreigners. Lots and lots of tour groups like the group with the white and red baseball caps. I think life has improved over there alot and more and more people are able to travel and see places that they have heard of but have never had the chance to visit until now. When I would see older people I would always wonder what they have been through in their lifetime -- in MY lifetime. It made me happy to see them out and about and getting to enjoy some "recreation and leisure" experiences.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Travelin'Oma said...

I feel like a desk chair tourist. I am loving all your photos and the descriptions. I'll soon be thinking I've been to China since you're making it all so real for me!