Sunday, June 22, 2008

Catch of the day...


I told you before that we got to the town of Yangshuo late at night and we were so disappointed to have to wait even longer, until the next morning, to see these incredible mountains that are so famous here. First thing the next morning I went for a walk around town to get a feeling for this unique location. As I snapped this photo of a beautiful town square and the cool street light that looks like a chinese lantern, I noticed something going on on the sidewalk... right there behind the garbage can so I walked over to check it out.


I was just fascinated when I saw this woman selling fresh fish that had just been caught within a couple of hours. She would walk around town and she carried her buckets of fish on a pipe on her shoulder. When someone wanted to purchase some fish she would just squat right down on the sidewalk, pull out her big butcher knife and gut it right there on the spot. She was very precise and you could tell she has been doing this for ALOT of years. I could tell from her hands that she had to be quite old but I couldn't see her face while standing up so


I squatted down too so I could get a better look. Honestly, I think she looks about as old as my mother. She was not the least bit distracted by me and my camera... just another day earning a living. We also saw people walking around with eggs in their baskets hanging off their shoulders, chickens and ducks in bamboo cages and of course, all kinds of leafy, greens mostly unrecognizable to us but fresh, fresh, fresh!
Posted by Picasa