Monday, February 25, 2008

Quilt of the Week




I guess I should really call this "quiltS of the week" since I am featuring 3 quilts. It has been many weeks since I posted about a quilt so I decided to show more than one this time -- and they all are related as well.

Back a few years ago the Church was commemorating the 200th anniversary of the Prophet Joseph Smith's birth. Several quilt patterns were produced at this time by various quilters. I decided that I wanted to make a quilt as my way of participating in this special event. When I saw the companion quilt pattern for Joseph Smith's wife, Emma Smith, I knew I had to make that quilt as well. Both quilts are not very big. They are only about 29" x 30" but I think they are very sweet and I loved making them. The Joseph Smith quilt is titled "Hail to the Prophert" and the Emma Smith quilt is titled "Faithful Companion". The quilt pattern was designed by a local quilter named Jodi Warner. She has many, many quilts in her line. I love that each block is symbolic of some aspect of Joseph and Emma's lives.

The third quilt was designed by Jodi also. It features Brigham Young. I started this quilt back in 1997 but only worked on it off and on and finally finished it Jan. of 2001. It is a small wallhanging as well. It measures 32" x 36". I named this quilt "Think of the Pioneers". All three of these quilts use applique and traditional block piecing as well as a special technique called paper foundation piecing where you actually sew the fabric on to a piece of paper that has the design printed on it. Then you tear off the paper after the block is sewn together.

Paul and I have new "house guests" moving in with us tomorrow so I hung these quilts up in the basement where they will be living for the next 12 to 18 months (both the quilts and the Elders!). Yes, we will be priviledged to have 2 young men, missionaries for our Church, living with us. I love a good reason to get out my quilts and put them on display!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Anita K. said...

Your quilts are beautiful! I have either 2 or 3 quilt tops that were hand pieced by my grandmother. (if she were alive she would be 119) Do you know of anyone that finishes quilts for a living? I hate that they are just put away and not honored. Thanks!

Travelin'Oma said...

Wow! A mission mom!

gramakas said...

Anita: If you go to a quilt shop near where you live many times they can give you the names of women who will quilt for hire. I wonder if you could "Google" someone in your area. Good luck... those quilt tops are priceless!