Sunday, December 30, 2007

Pink Christmas



Back some time last summer I think it was, I read on a friend's blog about a gift exchange that she was organizing called "Pink Christmas". It included raising some money for a 2 year-old niece of her's that was going through a kidney transpant as well as exchanging handmade gifts with someone unknown to the gift giver. Well over 100 women signed up as well as myself. I love a good surprise -- both giving one and getting one. We all filled out a questionaire about our likes and dislikes, i.e. favorite colors, hobbies, interests, families, favorite foods, just random information. Soon afterwards I received a pink package in the mail that told me who I would be giving my homemade gift to. I knew immediately what I was going to make for my "new friend".

I was also sent her blog address so I began getting to know her. I enjoyed reading about her life on a daily basis... I've never met anyone either in person or virtually with as many friends as she has...she even belongs to a book club that took a trip to Paris, France together! Now, that's the kind of book club I'd like to be in! I had no idea who had my name but I assumed they were probably reading up on me and getting to know me via my blog as well.

I had my gift made before Thanksgiving and sent it off the first part of December and then I started to wonder who I would be getting a gift from!?!? Then about the middle of December I got a package in the mail with a "Pink Christmas" label attached. I put it under my Christmas tree and tried to resist opening it before Christmas morning... which I succeeded in waiting (I believe in playing by the rules). It added a really fun aspect to my gift giving and receiving this year. I felt like a little kid wondering what was in that box just for me!

My pink christmas pal turned out to be a sweet, beautiful woman who lives in Mesa, AZ and in her note that came with my gift, she explained several connections that we have even though we've never met. Her family lived in the same ward as Heidi and their 8 year olds had been friends before Swapps moved to China. She said she even went to a dance with Eric back in high school... how blizarre is that!

She put a lot of thought into the items she included in my package. She sent a handstamped bookmark because I love to read, she sent lots of chocolate and that fun plate because I love all things chocolate and she made lovely paper "quilted" ornaments because I love to quilt (they are now hanging in my sewing room). Thank you so much Janae... you added so much to my Christmas! And thanks to you Kristi for putting together such a successful and enjoyable event!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: