Sunday, December 30, 2007

All that's left


This is all that is left of Christmas 2007 -- atleast in the home decorations department. I love, love, love getting Christmas cards! When I was a little girl the mailman used to come TWICE a day to deliver the mail because there were so many Christmas cards sent out. I can remember running to the mailbox and being so excited to see it jam-packed with cards from friends and family far and near! Back in those days I don't remember very many photos or family-update letters included but it was so nice to see a little handwritten greeting from the sender.

I can't bring myself to put away these little glimpses into the lives of our friends and family members that have been sent to us. I'm so glad to know that these people still think of us as friends even though we haven't physically seen some of these people for at least 15 years (ie, the Roberts and the Archers) but when I get their cards it brings back a lot of good memories from our friendships and interactions and associations that are still meaningful to me and I guess to them too.

About 8 years ago I started keeping all the photos in a Christmas binder after I have taken them down and it is so fun to look back and see how our friend's families have grown and changed (I wish I'd have started that binder sooner). Alot of our friends have gone from having kids at home to now being emptynesters but continue to include their kids and grandkids in their updates and photos. I'm truly grateful for those who keep sending cards to us each year. And I love getting cards from new friends -- people who have come into our lives this year... hopefully, we'll make the cut and stay on their lists in the future.

This Christmas has been a very special season this year. Lots of changes but in all the important ways of love and family and celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ, everything was still the same. It has been so enjoyable to take each day and each get together one at a time and enjoy it and relish it to it's fullest. Now I mostly have just memories to store away but they are precious to me and easy to access. I have posted some of the highlights of this Christmas season in the following posts... nothing like doing it all at once. But I wanted to document it all for myself as well as sharing it with each of you. I hope that your holiday season was everything you hoped it would be and that you can look back with joy and satisfaction but at the same time, look forward to the New Year with contentment and anticipation and high expectations for another great year.

Here's to 2008.... see you then!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Polly said...

I love getting pictures of families for Christmas. It's fun to see your blog!