Thursday, July 26, 2007

The kicks with Route 66




I have chosen the quilt that is in Paul's office as my Quilt of the Week. You can see the wallpaper that Paul chose to have in his office is reminiscent of the good old highway "Route 66". He loves the song, he loves the nostalgia and he loves the knick knacks he has scattered about so when I ran across this fabric a few years ago I knew I had to make him a Route 66 quilt. It is just colorful and quirky. I used lots of my on hand scraps in the tiny little squares... I always love it when I can use some of what I already have stashed away. The inside border is to resemble the yellow strips along the roadway. I often try to use the left over fabric on the backside and this time I had some fun with it. I wanted those checkerboard sections to look like tire tracks. I did machine piece this one and then hand quilt it. Be sure to click on the photos for a close up view and you'll get a "kick" out of the cute fabrics.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

A said...

Love the bottom photo, MamaK - looks like cyclists all heading east - must have too much Tour de la Brain !! Happy Thursday. A

Barbara said...

Quilting truly amazes me...I always wanted to do it but time hasn't allowed me to do it. Maybe if I ever retire ...one can only hope my fingers still work then.. hehehe Fondly B.
PS. I am finding that I am looking forward to the "quilt of the week".

kj said...

Wowie, now I can leave comments. I found my password all by myself with instructions from Thayne. When I was buying apron fabric a couple of weeks ago I came across another Route 66 fabric and it was amoung the choices in my pile. I love your quilt, all of your quilts. Grandma J must just be on your shoulder as you create each one. She was such a great example in many ways and must be proud of you for using your talents so beautifully.

chanel said...

a belated happy birthday to you ... sorry i have not been blog surfing as much this past week! hope your day was lovely!
luv chanel