Monday, July 23, 2007

The birthday goods....


Thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone that helped make my birthday so enjoyable! I guess when we get to a "certain age" we tend to keep our expectations quite low for our birthdays but this year any expectations were far exceeded. Paul told me that he needed to know a few gift suggestions because the kids were asking what I wanted... then he went out and got everything I mentioned plus the video Ipod... he's a keeper!! My nephew and his wife were using our "basement hotel" for the weekend and they brought me that stunningly beautiful flower arrangement from my favorite florist called "Roots". KJ made me the darling apron that you can see in the photo. Yes, those are jello molds on the fabric of the pockets. She even included packages of lime jello in the pockets. My "uber talented" friend Robyn made me the chic beaded necklace. And it would not be an authentic, official birthday without the traditional red velvet cake. Thanks again for so many kind and generous birthday remembrances... I feel very cared about.

I thought maybe I could give something to all of you on this occassion as well... so here is the Red Velvet Cake recipe.

2 oz red food coloring 1/2 c shortening (like Crisco) 1 1/2 c granulated sugar 1 c fresh buttermilk
2 eggs 2 1/2 c cake flour (or 2 1/4 c flour and 4 oz box instant chocolate pudding mix)
2 Tblsp cocoa 1 Tblsp vinegar 1 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon baking soda 1 teaspoon vanilla

Cream sugar, shortening & eggs. Make a paste of the cocoa and food coloring and add to the creamed mixture. Mix salt and vanilla with the buttermilk and add alternately with flour to creamed mixture. Mix soda and vinegar and fold into mixture (do not beat). Bake in 2 9" greased and floured cake pans at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Now that is the original, straight from my grandmother's recipe box recipe but I must admit that I have given in to the updated recipe which is much simpler: 1 Duncan Hines Red Velvet Cake mix 1 4 oz box instant chocolate pudding mix Bake according to package directions. (cheaters never win but in this case, it works just beautifully!)

Now here is where you can't cheat -- the frosting! This is a little tricky to make but it is the highlight of the whole cake eating experience. 5 Tblsp flour 1 c whole milk 1 c granulated sugar 1 c butter, room temperature 1 teaspoon vanilla

In a small saucepan, whisk the flour into the milk. Keep whisking over medium heat until the mixture thickens. (This is the trickiest part. You want the rue to be thicker than elmers glue but just to the point where when you stir it, it doesn't just flow back together -- don't let it get lumpy). Remove from stove and let cool (I like to transfer into another bowl so the pan it was cooked in doesn't continue to heat it). In your mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar and vanilla. Add the cooled flour/milk rue and beat until smooth and well mixed. It becomes the consistancy of thick whipped cream. Frost the cake like you normally would. This cake MUST be kept in the refrigerator -- especially in summer -- otherwise all that butter will just melt and run right off the cake. Give this a try; I promise you will love it. This makes such a memorable birthday cake but also because it is red it is super for Chirstmas, Valentines and 4th of July. Hope it works for you. As they say on the Food Network shows -- ENJOY!!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

katie k hymas said...

happy b-day mom!!!!
wish that i could partake of the cake, but i am being good anyway!!
looks like you totally SKORED!!!
and between katie and i, you still have more birthday-ing to do!!!
love you
heidi

katie k hymas said...

Pretty much missing out on the cake, hope there will still be some in the outside fridge when I get back. Aspen still hasn't experienced Red Velvet. You totally scored in the birthday department... good for you! We love you!