Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Service with a smile... most of the time


Last January when I started Heidi's online Big Picture Scrapbooking class, I had to chose a goal that I wanted to work on for this year and then create a layout to represent it. Ta-da... here it is. I actually did this layout in January but I have been working on giving more service since then. Some service comes easily and some I have to actually work on. For the past 10 days or so my mother has been so sick and it has necessitated a lot of service. Of course, I haven't really thought of it as "service"; I just want to be there and help out because I love her (and I owe her big time for all the service she has given me through the years). She is 86 years old and her health is declining and every so often there is a big bump in her road. We have been to the emergency room two nights in a row and she was even admitted to the hospital for about 12 hours. But for the past week she has pretty much been bedridden and in need of constant care. My Dad is 88 and he has stepped up as the primary care giver but seriously, he is 88! It is quite easy to pick a goal like service and then bake a few cookies once in a while for the neighbors but it is a whole other reality when the service is needed and all of my priorities have to be laid aside. Just about the time this whole episode had started to feel like a burden, I was touched by so many other people that have stepped up to give some service as well. My siblings have been wonderful and helpful and involved. My husband and children have been supportive and encouraging. And what would we do without medical and health professionals. There is no end in sight for my Mom's situation yet but we're taking it one day at a time and really I think my goal will not be completed this year... I think it is one of those lifelong endeavors.

3 comments:

Travelin'Oma said...

I've been thinking similar thoughts. I like giving service when it's on my schedule and worked into my own activities. This unselfish service that takes all day, and cuts into my blogging time is hard on me!

katie k hymas said...

thanks for being such a great example. you never hesitate to step-up and be there when times get tough.

Kay said...

Sorry to hear about your mom. You are doubly blessed to still have both your parents. Sounds like you are doing a great job & so unselfishly...just like the Lord asks of us! Thinking of you all at this time.