Thursday, January 29, 2009

Remember, I'm a quilter


I realized that it has been a long time since I actually posted a photo of any of my quilts and believe me, I still have lots of quilts to show. Sometimes I find that I am so used to the quilts that surround me on a daily basis that I almost don't notice them. That is the case with this one. Back last summer when I finished that bathroom that I remodeled, I hung this quilt in that room. But since it is a guest bathroom, I seldom go in there. But when I do, I find myself spending a few extra moments just gazing at this quilt.

The pattern for this quilt is a commercial one and it is called "Mexican Star". It was the project of a class that I took back in September 2005. It was an extremely delightful pattern to follow and it was completely finished by November 2005. I don't have a lot of quilts that I have made that have a dark background but I think it is very dramatic and works perfectly in this case.

My version has more of an asian feel because all of the fabrics I used are oriental prints.


Here is the back of the quilt where you can see the theme fabric that I used as my color inspiration. Yes, those are Koi fish. You really can't tell that there are fish in the fabric on the front side but I really do love this fabric so I used it anyway. I had a fat quarter of this fabric but with a dark blue background that I initially thought I'd start with but I knew a fat quarter wouldn't be enough and since I had purchased the fabric about 2 years before, I knew I wouldn't be able to find it in my local quilt stores. I was lucky enough to find it on the internet but when it arrived -- ta da, it was the sky blue background instead. Which I think worked lots better anyway.

This quilt was machine pieced by me and then machine quilted by my friend, Betty Bird. It is not very big; it is only 32" square but it is a sweet treat for my eyes.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Sara said...

I love the koi -- your quilts are BEAUTIFUL! I enjoy seeing them from your blog and from Heidi's. I would love to learn ... maybe someday!

Take care.

Sara