Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Mount Logan adventure


Every fall Paul and I like to get in an ATV outing. This year we were struggling to come up with a weekend that we could get out on. Between IRS tax deadlines and stormy, snowy weekends, we were afraid we were going to have to miss out this year. But lucky for us, we were able to take advantage of a beautifully perfect Saturday this past weekend and get our ride in.

My brother lives up in Cache Valley in Logan, Utah. He has always told us about all the great off road areas there are to explore around there so we convinced him and his cute new wife, Barbara, to take us out and show us around. When we arrived in Logan at 10 am on Saturday morning the temperature was 43 degrees in the valley... that worried me about what the temperature was going to be up on the mountain where we'd be riding. And we also realized it was the opening day of the deer hunting season so there would be TONS of hunters out there also. But being the hardy souls that we are (yeah, right) we just added some orange and a few more warm layers and took off. It was so worth it!


Our adventure took us a total of 30 miles over a wide but super rocky and gnarly dirt road. It had snowed up there over the past two weekends so there were lots of portions of the road that were covered in mud and snow and even quite icy in places. Our destination was the peak of Mount Logan which is here in this photo. The most intense portion of the ride was this last steep climb. This photo doesn't do it justice! It looked really steep and slippery and even icy. I thought there was no way I was going to be able to get up there but I watched my brother make it to the top so I decided I'd be brave and give it a go. I put my machine in the lowest gear and 4-wheel drive and then just crept up slow and steady. Turns out it wasn't as steep as it looked at a distance and it wasn't icy either just wet and muddy. I was pretty stoked when I got to the top! The view from here was spectacular. You could see the WHOLE Cache Valley and all the surrounding mountains. I swear we could almost see Bear Lake from this vantage point!


Here is my trusty ride! My machine is called "Spiderman" since it is red and Paul has a green machine just like it that we have named "The Hulk". I don't think I have ever finished a ride with this much mud caked on me and my machine. At one point along the ride I thought I could see black butterflies flittering off the sides of my machine and then I looked closer and realized it was really just big chunks of mud flipping up all around me!

What a fun way to end another ATV season. Paul cleaned up the machines Monday night and put them "to bed" for the winter. We got enough memories to get us through till next spring when we can head out again.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

katie k hymas said...

you guys are soooo tough! Don't you know you can get hurt doing these kinds of crazy adventures! You're not as young as you once were... wink wink!

Barbara said...

I think you are having way to much fun outdoors!!!
I am sooooo jealous!!
Living in Arizona, our "outside" time is just beginning....I hope:0 ..it has been so hot all summer and into the fall I just wonder if it will ever cool off!!
Really the ATV's look like so much fun.
Well now that you are all tucked in for the winter you can go back to quilting!!!
Fondly, B.