Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Another beautiful outdoor day


So, for this week's hike, Kalita and I decided to trek up to Lake Blanche. This week we switched canyons from Millcreek to Big Cottonwood. I actually live all of about 2 miles from the mouth of this canyon and have done so for the past 32 years. This is the first time I have ever made this hike! Seriously, what have I been doing all these years? Oh yeah, working! I'm so glad I retired!

The trailhead is located 4.4 miles up the canyon. This was a longer and, I would say, a more difficult hike than the last 3 hikes we have taken. The trail is a steady uphill climb. In fact, it climbs about 2500 feet in the 3 miles up to the lake. The trail is more narrow and lots more rocky also. But the scenery is every bit as spectacular. The foliage is in various stages of transformation; everything from leaves totally fallen to some leaves just starting to lose their green to lots of shades of yellow and gold since most of the trees here are Aspens. The sky was perfectly blue with not a titch of a cloud anywhere. The temperature was in the high 40s to low 50s, I'm guessing but we were just fine in a couple of long sleeved shirts. We both wore gloves for some of the hike early on but we were mostly kept warm by all the physical exertion.

This past weekend we did get some weather changes which resulted in that "white stuff" there on the highest peaks. I have to admit that the snow looks so pretty as a contrast to the fall colors and the rocky ridges. There were several peaks surrounding the lake. I came home and did a little research and found out that the peaks are: Dromendary at 11,107 feet, Sunrisedeck at 11,275 feet, Monte Cristo at 11,132 feet and Sundial at 10,320. I have no idea which peak is which but they all were very impressive. We made the whole 6 mile trek in about 3 1/2 hours including hanging out at the lake for 20 minutes or so.

I have got my fingers crossed that we can still get in at least one more hike (really, I'm hoping for 3 or 4 but I am trying to take it one week at a time). If you get the chance, get out and enjoy this precious time of year. We only live once!!

Posted by Picasa

No comments: