Sunday, July 20, 2008

Retired... from what?


It's official ... I'm RETIRED! from my career as secretary/office manager/receptionist & toilet paper replacer.

About last November it was decided that I could gracefully phase out of my office responsibilities by July 2008! So when July 1st arrived, I stayed true to the schedule and as soon as I got the bills out for June, I too cleared out my desk and turned my back on a mere 25 years of going to the office (most) every day. I have to admit I've had it pretty good since I have been married to the boss all these years.

Now if you are like a lot of people I have told, in person, that I'm retired, you may be wondering "what is she going to do with all her time now?" Oh, don't you worry. I have probably worked harder in the past 2 or 3 weeks since I've been home every day than I ever did at the office (don't tell Paul though). I have been making lists in my head of all the things that I have neglected over the years that now I need to take care of... and I have tried to get lots of them done ASAP.

First of all, you'll remember I posted about our new remodel job. Well, it has taken me a whole week just to get everything back where it all belongs but cleaned out and organized to boot. I have done all those jobs like cleaning baseboards and dusting ceiling fans and cleaning blinds and shutters and windows. There is a lot of dust from remodeling and it has ended up EVERYWHERE!

But if that wasn't enough, I have this HUGE project that I have taken on ... "I" am remodeling the guest bathroom! See those stars in the photo above... Katie painted those about 12 years ago and I have been very tired of them for atleast the past 5 or 6 years - since she got married and moved out. First I had to sand all of them, then paint the ceiling, then paint the walls,


then remove the carpet, then remove the baseboard and then take the free workshop at Home Depot on how to install tile!!!


So far this is what the tile is looking like... I'm very happy with the results and it is not too difficult. I borrowed a tile cutting saw from a friend and that has been a new adventure... nothing like power tools to broaden your talents. I still have to finish cutting the intricate shapes that go around the heat vent and the toilet area and then I still need to grout everything but so far so good.

This could look good on my resume if I ever do need to go back to work full time. (I think I'd try for a job at a quilt shop first though.)
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

katie k hymas said...

Totally impressed with your skills! And truthfully not so sad to see the stars go. don't feel bad. Noticed I haven't painted stars in my house yet. CONGRATULATIONS on retirement, I had no idea it was official official!

katie k hymas said...

ps.... happy birthday!!!!!!!!!!

Travelin'Oma said...

Happy Birthday! And Happy Retirement! Did they give you a gold watch? You deserve one. Before you take your name off the check signing document, go get yourself one!

Martha said...

Hello: I have been visiting your blog for several months. Love the tile. Congrats on retiring.

Sherry said...

That is so impressive!! and Yes when without a job, it seems there is even less time than when one does report to a job! crazy.
enjoy your remodel!

Barbara said...

You are amazing..now I know where Heidi gets her energy from... If you bottle it, send it my way, I am going to need it this year with 24 four and five year olds!! I am jealous of your retirement:) Have fun!
B.