Friday, July 18, 2008

Quilt of the week, again (finally!)


So this is really why we went to China... to hand deliver Cory's birthday present!

Cory's birthday was April 14th and since we were headed to visit them anyway, I decided to make something bigger than I would have been able to mail over to him. Mr. Cory's favorite color is ORANGE! This was such a fun quilt to make. When I went to the fabric store, I ended up buying as many different orange fabrics as I could find that were bright and whimsical. I have been saving used, abandoned and worn out jeans for years ... in fact, I have a whole shelf full in my sewing room. Denim seemed like the perfect companion to the glowing, intense oranges.

For Cory's birthday party, he had a big soccer game with lots of his friends and their dads. They were split up on two different teams and I'm sure the boys whipped the dads! So when I found a soccer ball fabric that had International Country flags on the soccer ball spots that are usually black, I knew that would be perfect for the back. There was even the PR of China flag! Coincidentally, one of his friends gave him a birthday present that was a pillowcase that his mom had made using a similar soccer ball fabric. It was the perfect compliment to the quilt. I think it is safe to say, Cory was ok with having to wait a few weeks for his birthday gift from Grandma!

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

katie k hymas said...

grandma of the year award for sure!

Sherry said...

You're right, great coloring. I love the sashing.

Barbara said...

You can really tell he is your grandson!!!
You look so much alike...
He will cherish that for ever!
How has the rest of your summer been going?
I go back to school on the 28th of July...kids come on the 4th of August.. YIKES!
Not sure I am ready to go back... but it's been so hot here this summer it maybe fun to just get back into a routine. I think I am delirious...hehehe
B.