Monday, January 21, 2008

Se habla espanol? (I don't spell it either)




One whole week of warm weather, bright sunshine and authentic Mexican food... total bliss!

You may have guessed from my previous post that Paul and I headed off to Mexico last week to thaw out and "chill out" at our favorite January get away spot of Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. This was our 7th year in a row that we have gone there and once again we were not disappointed with our vacation. It kind of surprises us that we are still finding new things to do and having new experiences. The first time we went with some friends who had bought a time share the year before and were using it for the first time. We ended up coming home with our own timeshare and have not regretted it for a minute.

One of the funest experiences for me this year started out as a potential disappointment. Our resort sits about 15 miles away from Cabo and in past years we have had access to a shuttle provided by the resort. So for $2 a person each way (plus a tip for the driver), they would drive back and forth to town where we would go to shop and dine which we took advantage of atleast once a day. When we arrived this year, they informed us that the local taxi drivers were very unhappy with this service because it excluded the taxis from getting the tourist fares from our resort and sometime during the past 12 months the taxi drivers began to actually block the resort entrance with their vans as a form of protest so the resort finally scraped the shuttle service. The real downside of this was that it now would cost about $25 each way to take a taxi. We weren't very excited about spending that much to get into town every day but we weren't very excited about not being able to get into town also. We knew that there was a locals bus that went right past our resort but we had never paid much attention to it. We asked around and were told that it was quite reliable and safe and came by about every 15 minutes (give or take 10 minutes -- mexican time) and best of all, it only cost 15 pesos each way = $1.50. We decided to give it a try and it was the BEST!!! so much FUN!!! I loved having real interaction with the people that live there that wasn't just as a waiter or our housekeeper. They are such kind, nice, normal people and very tolerant of us gringos that speak no Spanish.

On one of our trips into town this guy got on the bus with his guitar and a harmonica stand hooked to his neck and he began to play this beautiful Mexican music as well as sing and accompany himself. He was very talented and even though I couldn't understand the words he was singing, the music was excellent and very enjoyable. He even came over by me and asked if I knew the song "I just called to say I Love You" which he then began to sing in english and wanted me to sing along with him which I did and tried my best to not embarrass myself. I had noticed other people singing along with him on the spanish songs so I figured it was ok to join in. Many people gave him a few pesos and I was happy to give him some as well. It added so much to the otherwise quiet and just normal bus ride. Later that afternoon on the bus ride back to our resort, a couple other guys got onboard the bus and began singing and it was just painful -- they couldn't carry a tune and their voices definately didn't harmonize. Thankfully they got off just a few stops later.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Travelin'Oma said...

It sounds like a wonderful get away.

A said...

I could use a little Cabo San Lucas myself right about now. Welcome home Mama K !

erika said...

sounds SO nice! what a perfect time of year to escape the snow...
i'm glad you had such a great time!