Wednesday, January 9, 2008

37 in 2007

No I didn't turn 37 years old in 2007...close though (by about 20 years!). I counted up all the books I've read this year and was amazed to discover that I had read 37 books!

I do like to keep a list of all the books I have read. It is kind of a "check list" mentality. As soon as I finish a book I can hardly wait to go write it down in my book journal -- check!

The last book that I read in 2007 was "Three Cups of Tea" by Greg Mortenson. It is a memoir of his adventures while building schools, mostly for girls, in Pakistan and Afghanistan. The story is remarkable! He is remarkable! I was so fascinated by his desire to help meet this need that he became aware of after he had a failed mountain climbing experience on K-2 back in the 1990's. To read of all his interactions with people from this part of the world that we usually only hear about in very negative reports was very inspiring.

After I finished the book I went to his website and saw that he has Book Tour dates there. I clicked on to 2008 and the closest location to where I live is Twin Falls, Idaho where he will be at the College of Southern Idaho on Feb. 7th. I called the contact person and found out that his presentation is free and open to the public. I am going to be there for sure -- weather permitting. I have been so touched by this man's sincerity and generousity and perserverance that I want to meet him in person and feel of his passion and what drives him.

With all that is going on in that part of the world, especially with the assassination of Benezir Bhutto a couple weeks ago, I think it will be fascinating to hear first hand from someone who has lived and worked and associated with these people on a daily basis for so many years through so much toil and strife. He will be on a totally different level than what we hear about only through the news and media.

This is one book that has continued to make me think and be more aware of world events because of it. I just hope there will be clear roads and no snow so I can have this, to me, much anticipated experience.

4 comments:

Rane said...

I thought i was doing well with the 9 i had read...CRAP...37??? WOW that really is fantastic. I hope you have some good ones for Cabo. As you will probably have some quality pool time. ...JERKS. lol

katie k hymas said...

I ditto Rane's comments. You know you won't have fun without us!!!

nick said...

Well, now are you going to share your list and the other 'must reads'?....

nicole b said...

Hi Sheri--
I loved this book too. Such an inspiring guy. I haven't checked blogs for a while and thought I would say hello. I found the site that we talked about that publishes blogs into nice books, and you can read about it here: http://thepigbear.blogspot.com/2008/01/smiles.html
and the actual site is blurb.com Their books look very nice.

Loved your pictures of Cabo, and will reference your list of great restaurants if we ever make it back down there. We were Cancun at the same time!

Love,
Nicole Bruderer