Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Quilt of the Week


Ok so this is really just a 1/2 finished quilt since it is only the pieced top and hasn't been quilted yet. But this is a very special quilt. Several months ago I heard about an organization called "Quilts of Valor". It strives to present quilts to as many wounded servicemen and servicewomen as it can. Quilts are donated by anyone who would like to make a quilt. I found their website at http://www.qovf.org/ and decided I wanted to participate. I have made a quilt like this about 4 or 5 years ago and it was quick and fun to sew together so I decided I would go with this pattern. All the blocks are made from scraps of fabric I already had on hand. I did buy new fabric for the background and borders. The blue background fabric is titled "Democracy" and the brown border fabric is titled "Lady Liberty". I thought those were very appropriate names.

After I finished piecing the quilt top I contacted the qov people and they found a long-arm quilter who had signed up to donate her time to machine quilt it. She actually lives here in my same city but across the valley from where I live. I sent it to her about a week ago and now I'm anxiously awaiting it's return. I can hardly wait to see how she quilted it. I will then put on the binding and a label on the back with both our names as piecer and quilter and then qov will send me the name of a soldier to send it off to.

I so enjoyed this project! I have very mixed feelings about the whole war in Iraq and Afghanistan but I do want the soldiers to know that I'm aware of their sacrifice and I do care about them and am grateful for their service to our Country and it's Citizens, namely me and my family. My efforts are not much at all compared to what they have given on my behalf but this has meant alot to me and I feel priviledged to give a little of myself using what talents I have.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

katie k hymas said...

That is beautiful! I think that is great that you are donating your time and talents.

mama jo said...

that is a fantastic thing to do...a great way to share your talent