Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Sweet Story

This week there are about 30 or 40 people here at the Temple Patron housing where Paul and I are temporarily living. These people have come from the other big island of Vanua Levu. It is about an 8 hour boat ride to get here to Suva. It costs about 160 fijian dollars ($80 US) for a roundtrip ticket so this is not a trip they take very often. They have come here to do Temple work and for several of the families it is their first trip to the Temple.

Last night we were privileged to get to attend a sealing session where 3 families were sealed for time and all eternity. One of the families had 3 little girls who were about 7, 5 and 3 years old. They were just little angels. Sister Stagg shared the sweetest story with me about an experience the Staggs had with the oldest daughter just the night before. It just brought tears to me eyes to realize how humble and precious these people are.

The Staggs had to run some errands so they took a few of the kids that are hanging around here with them just to get them out and around the city for a while. As they were driving along, the 7 year old daughter said "Sister Stagg, have you ever had a hamburger?" Of course, Sister Stagg replied that yes, she has had a hamburger lots of times. She asked if the little girl had ever had a hamburger and she replied "no, I never have". Well, it didn't take Elder Stagg long to flip a u-ie and heard straight over to the nearest McDonalds (I've only seen 2 here so far - they aren't exactly on every corner) and got every one a hamburger. Two of the kids just pounded down their hamburger but Sister Stagg noticed that this little girl just ate about half of it and then wrapped it up again. Sister Stagg asked her if she didn't like it because she hadn't finished it. Her reply was, "oh yes, I really like it but I want my little sister to get to eat a hamburger too so I'm taking this back to her."

I'm sure I'll never take a hamburger for granted again!

4 comments:

kj said...

That is as sweet as ever!

Barbara said...

Doesn't that humble you to see that life doesn't have to be so fancy to be enjoyed?
I can feel the Holy Spirit putting these sweet stories into your lives to help you understand each day the lives of his people on the islands.
What a privilege:)
fondly, B.

Travelin'Oma said...

This story gave me little chills. Thanks for sharing it.

Susan said...

Beautiful and sweet. Thanks for the smile and heart tug.