Monday, August 10, 2009

Leaving on a Jet Plane...

Hello, Hello again... Yes it is really me. I know I have been so AWOL (absent without leave) for sooooooooo long but I have survived my chaotic summer of mission preparation and TODAY is THE day that Paul and I fly away to FIJI! We are sooooo ready to go ----- just still not soooooo actually ready. We still have lots to do in the next few hours but I couldn't leave without connecting with my blogger friends and letting you know that I intend to keep you posted on our many experiences and adventures for the next 18 months!

Last week, Paul and I went to the MTC (Missionary Training Center) from Monday through Friday. We had the most wonderful, inspiring, uplifting and exhausting experience! It was intense but so worth it. There were about 35 other Senior Couples there that week and it was very humbling to hear where everyone was going and what they would be doing. There were couples going to Russia, Philippines, Greece, Czech Republic, Samoa, Kiribiti (formerly known as the Gilbert Islands and extremely remote, by the way), Puerto Rico, Milan, Finland, St. Louis, Georgia, Oklahoma -- literally, going to the four corners of the globe! There were quite a few couples lots older than us too. It made us very grateful for our assignment.

We have been taking some over-the-phone tutoring in Fijian for the past 3 weeks. It is a super simple language. They don't even use all the letters of the alphabet but they have thrown in some tricks just to keep it interesting like g and q are pronounced as ng and c is pronounced as th and you add a m sound before b letters and an n sound before d so that has been very entertaining. Paul has a real talent and a gift for picking up new languages. His brain just works that was. I can hear and pronounce it somewhat but I have trouble retaining it all. But we have learned to say hello -- Bula Vinaka -- and goodbye -- moce and where is the bathroom --
evei nu valeleilei -- so we should be set for a couple hours! Many of the other Senior Couples were also having language training at the MTC in Greek and Russian and Italian and Tagalog and it made our Fijian language look like a piece of cake. The last night we were there we participated in a precious and tender experience where every foreign language learning missionary bore their testimony in their new language. Even though I couldn't understand any of those other languages, I received their heartfelt messages straight to my heart by the beautiful, sweet spirit that was so strong.

Another highlight of the week was when we attended the much-anticipated weekly Devotional and participated in singing "Called to Serve" with the other 2200 missionaries in the auditorium. What power and conviction. To be in the presence of so many young men and women willing to devote 18 months to 2 years of their lives to serving their Heavenly Father and their savior Jesus Christ, was truly a once in a lifetime experience!

We are so grateful for this opportunity to go forward now and share our testimonies of the message of the Gospel and serve the people of Fiji however we can. I am so appreciative of the kindness and support we have received from our friends and family. Our children have just gone over and above all expectations to help us in our preparations. We have had nonstop fun and family-together events all summer long but especially the last 3 weeks and we have wonderful memories and feelings to accompany us as we depart.

Feel free to check back here once in a while and hopefully you can get a sense of our new life and share in our new cultural experiences! We'll just take it one day at a time and give you reports on "another day in Paradise"! (keep us in your prayers!)

9 comments:

kj said...

I didn't realize how deep my love for you and Paul has grown. I didn't realize I'd be moved to tears so easily at this time. I miss you already. We are so thrilled for you and your family too. You will be in our prayers. We'll grow through the experiences you share.

Tiff said...

Romney will miss having such an amazing primary teacher! But at least she has a new little friend. Good luck with all your experiences.

Kage said...

I cannot believe this! Have a beautiful time. A close friend served a mission in Fiji almost 20 years ago...she's got some STORIES!

nielsfam.blogspot.com said...

Thank you so much for taking the time to come to Christian and Olivia's baptism the day before you left. You are so thoughtful and have been such a wonderful primary teacher.

Also, thank you for the nice gift (missionary fund) you gave Christian. I hope that someday he will follow your example and serve a mission. In fact, I would like to do what you are doing too! I just don't think they have any missions that need golf professionals!

Enjoy and we will follow your blog!
Love Robyn and Christian

Julie Pia said...

I'm so glad you will be updating your blog, so we can experience your many adventures.

We will miss you dearly.

loves.....and good luck!

Alisa said...

I don't even know you personally but will love hearing of your adventures on your mission through your blog!
There are senior missionaries coming to Oklahoma? Do you know where?
I am right smack dab in the middle of OK!

Barbara said...

Can't wait to serve a mission through you!!
I'll be checking in often.
No worries!!
B.

Travelin'Oma said...

I was so glad to see your blog lit up on my Bloglines! It's great to hear from you and I can't wait to read more.

hks said...

hi mom!! all is well here, we are happy that you arrived safely and without incident! (no loss of luggage!! YAY!) we have you guys all packed out, and we are in the process of filling your closet! we all piled in your bed to watch a movie last night...you have been in all our prayers! even Capri's! looking forward to your updates.-hks