Monday, August 27, 2007

Another bicycling adventure


Every summer Paul plans a big bicycling trip. In the past we have gone to Louisiana, the San Juan Islands, Colorado, Moab to Albequerque, Grandes Alpes in France and this year he is taking on the Blue Ridge Parkway in the Great Smokey Mountains National Park of Virginia and North Carolina. Back when we were first married, Paul was in the army and we were stationed at Fort Bragg, North Carolina. One weekend we drove our recently purchased 1962 blue Buick Skylark convertible to Grandfather mountain and the mile-high swinging bridge. We loved how different the mountain scenery was compared to what we were used to in the West. Our mountains are tall and craggy and rocky and sparsely covered with trees and brush. But in North Carolina the views are totally green with trees and the whole mountains are thick with foliage--- at least that is what I remember from 36 years ago. Unfortunately our car broke down on our way back home since it came with a cracked engine block that we weren't aware of. Thankfully, they took it back and gave us a refund. Oh to be young and inexperienced!

Anyway, back to this year's trip. We will begin this adventure by flying into Charlottesville, Virginia and then he will begin biking from Waynesboro, VA. We will be staying at small, ridge-top inns along the way and I'm expecting it to be quite remote, quiet and quaint. The parkway does pass by a few larger cities like Roanoke, Va and Lynchburg, Va and Boone, NC and Asheville, NC but for the most part it will be small towns like Montebella, Oronoco, Troutville, Bent Mountain, Floyd..... and that will be only if we leave the parkway. I have been to my library and checked out 4 guide books for the areas we'll be going through but I'm not finding much about places except what is actually on the parkway. Hence, the real reason for this post.... have any of you out there in cyberland been along this stretch of highway? Or maybe you have lived somewhere around these towns -- you know, the larger ones. If you have taken a trip here, what did you see or do that was memorable? I do know that near Asheville is the Biltmore estate. Has anyone been there? Is it worth going to see?

I know we are in for a really fun experience. I do enjoy just happening on to unique little cafes or shops or museums but if you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear from you!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Jolene said...

I lurk on your blog - I love it. I just wanted to tell you that the Biltmore Estate is amazing - it is a must see!! I'm not that familiar with the area - while on a business trip my husband and I went to the estate. Have fun on your trip!

Barbara said...

Is this the old "SKYLINE DRIVE"...?
THis is the most beautiful part of the country...I am an original East Coast girl myself...I have fond memories of the drive south to Floriday every year from Cleveland Ohio...then Pittsburg Pennsylvania then Rochester New York.. We spent the last Thanksgiving with my mom before she past away in Williamsburg, Va. and the following one at the Greenbrier ..NOW there is an interesting place...they take you on a tour of the bunkers they made for the President and the big wigs in Washington to go during an attack....and golf and great food/lodging...
Oh I have to stop...I love to travel in the east...not like here.
In the east you can always get somewhere interesting in a short trip...unlike the west...hehehe
Have a great trip and thanks for the comment about our new Grandbaby...:)
Fondly, B.