Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Springtime at Temple Square

 


I had to deliver some mission papers to the Church Headquarters in downtown Salt Lake yesterday and I was so rewarded for my efforts. I had forgotten how stunningly beautiful Temple Square is this time of year! The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints really goes all out with year round landscaping but I think Spring time is the peak season. The only thing better than these gorgeous photos is the delightful fragrance that fills the air. Amazing!

 

 


When Paul & I received our mission call a few weeks ago, our calling said that we were called to serve in New Zealand as Area Auditors in the Pacific Area but that our assignment could be "modified". Well, about a 10 days ago our call was modified and we now know that we will be actually living and working in Fiji! Now, New Zealand was a great assignment but we are really excited about this opportunity to go to Fiji! We understand that we will still get to go to New Zealand a time or two so it is definitely a win-win situation! We have been busy filling out our Fijian visa application forms and reading up on the Fijian culture! If you have been to Fiji, we need to hear from you; we are overwhelmed trying to figure out what we will need to bring with us and what we can get "in country". I'm expecting to simplify our life. I just need to convince myself that I can live without most of what I think I need. I'm guessing they probably don't have a Costco or Target over there!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Travelin'Oma said...

Hey, you were in my neighborhood. I know nothing about Fiji, but I stroll Temple Square often since it's just a block over. And the best part is, we have the same gardeners!

Davenport Researcher said...

Fiji was very interesting, but surprising. The Fijian people are SO friendly. They great everyone with "bulla". They are actually a minority in their own country as most if it is run by Pakistani's. Electricity and running water is in the resorts, but most low income can not afford those luxuries. The roads around the island are very narrow and dark, with cattle wandering around every turn. It was like being in Hawaii back in the 1930's with pristine breachs and not much development. You fly into the airport on the big island, and most of the resort development is 3/4 of the way around the island (4 hour drive). You will miss the condiments you are used to. (most packed food is shipped from Australia).
Cary (from CE)
Seattle

Alisa said...

I just love reading about your plans for your mission.
So inspiring!